Skip to main content

Hiking in Red River Gorge


As I mentioned in my previous post, Carrick and I (accompanied by our dog) rented a cabin in Red River Gorge for Carrick's birthday. We spent several hours hiking on both Friday and Saturday. We were told at the cabin rental office that dogs are not allowed on the trails in the Natural Bridge State Park, so we headed instead to RRG.

Rock Bridge Arch trail
Our cabin was a short drive up U.S. Highway 715 to the trails. (Here's a map of the area.) Our first stop was the 1.5-mile Rock Bridge Arch trail, three miles down a well-maintained gravel road (National Forest Road 24). As we neared the arch, we passed a nice creek and waterfall running next to the trail. Of course I spent 10 or 15 minutes taking some photos. Thanks to my new waterproof hiking boots, I was able to walk partway out into the very shallow creek to get the photos I wanted. After completing this loop trail, we got back in the car to find our next destination. We had a great guidebook with us called "Hiking Kentucky's Red River Gorge" by Sean Patrick Hill. The book contained good trail descriptions, maps, photos and was small and lightweight enough to fit in our small backpack.

Whistling Arch trail
The next stop on our hike was Angel Windows. This was a short .3-mile walk featuring the "angel windows" - a set of natural arches carved into the rocks with a view of the canyon below.

Just down the road from Angel Windows is the Whistling Arch trail, a short out-and-back trail, the highlight of which is the great view from the overlook. It reminded me of when I lived in Idaho as a child. My parents and I frequently traveled the region and I still have fond memories of the three of us visiting beautiful spots like Jenny Lake, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole and various other places, watching nature and wildlife. I'm pretty sure that's where my love of nature started.

Chimney Top trail
The Chimney Top trail was our next stop after Whistling Arch. Chimney Top offered a nice handrail overlook with a view of Half Moon Rock and the lower gorge area.

On Saturday, we drove back to the park and explored the Wildcat Trail. While this was a slightly more difficult trail (at least my knees were more sore than the previous day), it was by far my favorite. The trail descends around thick areas of wild Rhododendrons which are apparently in bloom during May and June. We have purplish-pink Rhododendrons in our front yard which are beautiful every summer. I can only imagine how impressive it is to walk among so many blooming Rhododendrons as we listen to birds sing. We'll definitely be revisiting this trail again in the summer.

Wild Rhododendron on the Wildcat Trail
The last hike of the day was the Sky Bridge Trail, an easy trail with the exception of a 77-step staircase at the end of the trail. And if you're afraid of heights, walking across the sky bridge section is a bit dizzying if you look around. It's a beautiful view, but knowing there isn't a secured handrail across this short section is a little scary, but the rock is wide, so you don't really feel like you're teetering on the edge. However, I did put my hands next to my eyes as blinders when I walked across. That made it much easier.

Sky Bridge Trail

The trail descends a bit to another handrail overlook, then wanders back underneath the Sky Bridge. The view from below was just as impressive as the view from above. And not as scary.

Overall, we had a great time checking out the trails and plan to go back again soon to visit some of the others. Someday, I hope to be in good enough physical shape (and to be 20 or 30 pounds lighter) to be able to hike the 7-mile Rough Trail. This is a beautiful part of Kentucky. We've lived here 12 years now. I'm not sure what took us this long to visit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Long Absence

It's been five years since my last blog post. Five years. I realize how pitiful that is. Why even bother with a blog if I'm not going to update it, right? Very good question. I started out with good intentions, but...well, you know what they say about good intentions. Part of the delay was due to my procrastination in writing a new blog post. Sometimes writing doesn't come very naturally for me. I struggle with what to write about. Other times an easy topic comes to mind, but my nit-picky nature comes out and it feels like it takes me forever to find the right words. By that point, my interest in the topic has waned and I've moved on to other things. "Squirrel!" Various life events happened during the past few years that resulted in my website and blog being pushed to the back-burner on my priority list. I got married (after waiting 20+ years for it to become legal. YAY for marriage equality!). I changed jobs in 2015 (same organization, different te

Paying It Forward

We all live in a world where it's easy to hide behind the relative anonymity of a computer screen and keyboard which, unfortunately, brings out the worst in some people. After reading a troll-ish response to someone in an online photography forum recently, I have a few things to say. I think it's safe to say with 100% certainty, that there is not one professional well-known photographer who at some point didn't start from the beginning. Yes, some people may be born with a more innate talent than others, but they still have to practice their craft. Practice. Fail. Practice. Fail. Practice, practice, practice. One day the technique is perfected, and you begin to see improvement. Work hard to be the best you can be. Whatever your craft or profession. In terms of photography, not one of us picks up a camera one day and becomes a world-famous photographer the next. We all have to start somewhere: asking questions, learning from other photographers, reading books, watching

Do Schools Teach Students About Photo Usage and Copyright Infringement?

I know I've discussed the issue of copyright infringement and stolen photos before , but last week I had a few other instances occur so I thought this would be a good time to discuss it again. Here's what happened last week: I did an online search for my most-often-stolen photo (not the one pictured here) and sure enough: three more instances of the same photo pilfered without my permission. One website was a high school blog. Another site was a college website (their student online newspaper, actually) and the third was a news/entertainment-type site. I sent all three infringers my standard DMCA takedown request letter via email. In the email I explained that I am the copyright owner on the photo, they are committing copyright infringement by using the photo without my written permission and provided links to the photo on my website. Before taking further action, I requested that they either remove the photo immediately or send payment - a very reasonable fee for one-tim