Skip to main content

Exchanging photos for "exposure"


According to a recent opinion piece in the New York Tiimes, I'm not alone in being a "slave of the internet."

"...being told that what you do is of no ($0.00) value to the society you live in is, frankly, demoralizing. Even sort of insulting."

No matter what you charge for your art, someone always wants you to give it away for free. I'm not referring to charities or family members, but to businesses with budgets. If I choose to donate my time or some of my work to a charity I support, that's my decision to make. And if a close family member wants a photo, I don't charge (although a request to pay me always follows). No matter who asks for one of my photos, I'm flattered they asked and it makes me happy to know that someone enjoys my work enough to hang it on their wall in their home or office. But when a business expects me to jump at the chance to have my work included in their newsletter/website/magazine/event/whatever in exchange for "exposure," a photo credit or byline (quickly following that with "we have no budget to pay you"), that's just insulting. You have a budget. That's what it's for. And I'm sorry, but I really don't believe that whatever "exposure" I may get from giving your company my photo will result in customers ringing my phone off the hook offering me more work. Do you ask your mechanic to fix your car for free, in exchange for passing along his name to your friends? Nope, you don't. Please don't expect me to do it either.

Over the years, I've been asked by quite a few people if I would shoot their wedding. The question comes from random acquaintenances, mainly, but once I was asked by a stranger on the street while I was photographing buildings downtown. Odd. I've heard everything from, "We are on a really limited budget" to "Other wedding photographers I've contacted are SO expensive!" I should clarify something here: I don't shoot weddings. I never have and I have no desire to start. I admire photographers who do (and I know some really awesome ones), but shooting a wedding is a whole new level of pressure and stress that I honestly have no need for. I always refer the acquaintenance to one of my wedding-photographer friends with the caveat that you really do get what you pay for. Professional wedding photography is not cheap and there are many good reasons why pros charge the rates they charge.

This article by photographer John B. Mueller provides a great explanation of why photographers charge what we charge for our work. Ok, it may be an extreme example, but you get the idea. I feel comfortable saying I probably speak for most photographers when I say, "Please respect the time, effort and costs that go into producing our work." We'll do the same for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Long Absence

It's been five years since my last blog post. Five years. I realize how pitiful that is. Why even bother with a blog if I'm not going to update it, right? Very good question. I started out with good intentions, but...well, you know what they say about good intentions. Part of the delay was due to my procrastination in writing a new blog post. Sometimes writing doesn't come very naturally for me. I struggle with what to write about. Other times an easy topic comes to mind, but my nit-picky nature comes out and it feels like it takes me forever to find the right words. By that point, my interest in the topic has waned and I've moved on to other things. "Squirrel!" Various life events happened during the past few years that resulted in my website and blog being pushed to the back-burner on my priority list. I got married (after waiting 20+ years for it to become legal. YAY for marriage equality!). I changed jobs in 2015 (same organization, different te

Paying It Forward

We all live in a world where it's easy to hide behind the relative anonymity of a computer screen and keyboard which, unfortunately, brings out the worst in some people. After reading a troll-ish response to someone in an online photography forum recently, I have a few things to say. I think it's safe to say with 100% certainty, that there is not one professional well-known photographer who at some point didn't start from the beginning. Yes, some people may be born with a more innate talent than others, but they still have to practice their craft. Practice. Fail. Practice. Fail. Practice, practice, practice. One day the technique is perfected, and you begin to see improvement. Work hard to be the best you can be. Whatever your craft or profession. In terms of photography, not one of us picks up a camera one day and becomes a world-famous photographer the next. We all have to start somewhere: asking questions, learning from other photographers, reading books, watching

Do Schools Teach Students About Photo Usage and Copyright Infringement?

I know I've discussed the issue of copyright infringement and stolen photos before , but last week I had a few other instances occur so I thought this would be a good time to discuss it again. Here's what happened last week: I did an online search for my most-often-stolen photo (not the one pictured here) and sure enough: three more instances of the same photo pilfered without my permission. One website was a high school blog. Another site was a college website (their student online newspaper, actually) and the third was a news/entertainment-type site. I sent all three infringers my standard DMCA takedown request letter via email. In the email I explained that I am the copyright owner on the photo, they are committing copyright infringement by using the photo without my written permission and provided links to the photo on my website. Before taking further action, I requested that they either remove the photo immediately or send payment - a very reasonable fee for one-tim